Friday, January 8, 2010

Scarves - A Winter Necessity


Dear Gentlemen,

Hope 2010 is going good for all of you guys so far; it's still the beginning but I already know this year will surely be a good one. I didn't get many gifts at all for my birthday/Christmas but I did receive an awesome hand knit scarf from my girlfriend which I really have begun to use as an everyday accessory. I often thought it would be a bit of a hassle to put on, take off, and constantly hold on to a scarf when going places but there are a lot of great things about them that supersede me just being upright lazy. Within the past couple of years scarves have become more abundant in terms of different textures, lengths, and styles. I know it's been cold for a while and a post about scarves may seem a bit late but I feel there are definitely a few more months of cold weather ahead of us. In this post I'm going to talk about some great looking and affordable scarves that should keep you warm and also go over a few different ways to wear them. I've noticed that even when I wear a bunch of layers, a cold gust of wind can enter through the neck hole of my sweater and make my entire body freeze. Wearing a scarf will prevent this from ever happening and not to mention serve as a stylish accessory to highlight to your outfit.

Striped Wool Scarves

I'm seeing a lot of the scarf selections this season utilizing stripes as the main design. The combination of different colors on the scarf can really accent some of the other pieces you are wearing.

Pretty obvious this particular scarf is from Polo Ralph Lauren. The black, grey, and white should be able to go with pretty much anything in your wardrobe. The red Polo logo is also a nice little detail. At $52, I'd consider this a lower mid-range priced scarf. Polo has also made classic pieces with timeless designs, this could be worn for much longer than 1 winter.
Uniqlo University Scarves - These really stood out to me in the accessories section while browsing through the Soho store a few weeks ago. They offer more than 1 combination of different colors, each one could match almost any color you'd ever wear. Priced at $19.50 you could scoop up all of them however I think having 3-4 of the same style could be kind of cheesy. The maroon and navy color combo was easily my favorite one, might have to go back and purchase one the next time I'm there.

Print Knit Scarves


You've probably seen this Cowichan print on winter beanies, sweaters, and even ties. Very Native Americanesque type of design but it is very "in" right now. This particular scarf is offered by GAP and is very moderately priced at $40. GAP has been surprising me with their latest collections and more modern fits, definitely won't be sleeping on what they're going to offer in their Spring/Summer line.

Solid Cashmere Scarves


If you prefer solid colored scarves and the wool is a bit too rough for your skin then you can never go wrong with a simple cashmere scarf. You could find nice ones that are very decently priced at retailers like Macy's, which have their Club Room ones currently on sale for $50.99 (You can get them here). Jos A. Bank, also a a popular brand in men's apparel, is offering their version which is also on sale for $48.00 (Priced down from $120 and available here).

Chunky Knit Scarves




Chunky knit everything seems like the new hype these days. Brands ranging from H & M to Engineered Garments are all offering their own versions of chunky knit items in their past seasons releases. The knit scarf in the pictures above are pretty much what the one I received looks like. I really like the thickness of the knit scarf compared to a cashmere one and getting one with a nice length to it allows you to style your scarf in so many different ways. I also own the very popular Burberry patterned scarf but I haven't even thought of wearing that one anymore. Definitely love how subtle yet stylish my knit one looks on me and it's definitely become my go-to one.

Ways to Tie Your Scarf

Now that you have some sort of idea on what kind of scarf you want to purchase the next step is deciding on how to wear it. I've worn my scarf in different ways depending on what I was wearing each day and all are very easy to do. Here are some different ways(images were borrowed from GQ magazine):

Simple Wrap Around

Scarf : Banana Republic $58

The easiest one to do, the wrap around. Simply place the scarf around your neck. Take one end and throw it over the opposite shoulder and bring it back down. It doesn't have to be perfectly even on each side as pictured above, I think anything too perfect looking is actually a bit weird and unnatural.

Simple One Knot Tie

Scarf: Prada $295

Another simply but great way to tie your scarf. Start off the same was as the wrap around with the scarf around your neck. Loop one end under the other and pull one side through the hole and adjust until you reach your desired length.

Slipknot


This will shorten the length of the tie considerably but it's still a great look especially if you want to show off your other layers. Touch both ends of the scarf before putting it around your neck. Then take both ends and slide it through the loop and pull.

Closing Thoughts: Wearing a scarf is awesome. It really adds something different to your outfit and most importantly it will keep you warm during this brutal weather. As you can see, you don't need to spend a lot these days to get a great quality and stylish scarf. There's definitely going to be at least 2-3 more months of scarf wearing weather so if you don't have a nice one to wear, now is the perfect time to get one. Almost all the online stores I've looked at in the past week had all their winter accessories on sale, some marked down up to 75% (and that includes gloves and winter hats as well). The 3 mentioned above are pretty much the most basic ways to tie a scarf but they definitely look great. I'm sure many of you can think of your own more creative ways, don't be afraid to experiment on your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment